If you could have 1 super power?

Guest RET.Maj.ShadowOp=US=

We don't have enough interesting discussions on here like this. I liked it enough to make it its own post.

If you could have any super power and be the only one in the world with one, and it could only be one (ex. Can't say "superman" because he can fly, laser eyes, invincible) what would it be? You would wake up the next day and nothing would be different except that now you have that power. Also, consider the power and it's "consequences" (ex. wish to fly, can't fly very fast without proper gear because our bodies can't handle certain speeds, also if you crash then all normal physics apply). Like I said, the only thing different in the world would be your new power.

Please include the power & a brief scenario of how'd you'd use it.

This is a discussion topic so actually discuss. If you see a flaw with someones power then discuss it. If there is a power that you never thought about and you think is really cool then comment on it.

Mine is kind of a time travel power: The Ability to Save my game

It would be the ability to make save games in real life like in a video game. At any point I could make a save state and at any point I could return to any previous save state while keeping all memories and experiences (don't want to get caught in a loop).

If I ever made a bad decision I could simply re-load to before the decision was made and try again. Or if I was getting old and near end of life I could go back to the beginning and try a different path in life as many times as I wanted.

Also if I ever died it would simply load me at my previous save so I could continue.

The only downside I could see to this power is losing some of the surprises that come with life. I feel being able to control too much would make things much less rewarding and interesting.

The way I could see working around this is just making a single save at the begging: The fail safe for death or wanting to restart. Then going through each play through (life) without safety net saves.

Guest RhinoTech

Captain, kinda sounds like a mix of "The Butterfly Effect" and Adam Sandler's "Click."

At first I wanted the ability to have a form of time-control (slow, fast, stop, rewind) that allowed myself or anything that I wanted to (that I was touching) to enter that time-field. But then I asked this question to my airsoft buddy and he had recently taken physics. He said he'd want the power to control/manipulate matter. Personally I find this power to be OP, and therefore something I'd want. I haven't taken physics (nor do I plan to), but from what he made it sound like it's very close to "God-mode" as we think. Turning a desk into pure gold, physically alter yourself or others, live forever, have a forcefield around yourself. I dunno.

The scenario I would do:

I would totally pretend to be the avatar (controlling the four elements) and entertain people (mostly myself).

Here's something I would like to be added to this post's topic "rules":

If someone already mentioned the power you want, or you changed your mind and want a power already listed, then say which power you want but also list your alternates until you've posted something that hasn't yet been mentioned.

The problem with the matter control power. Unless it came with Omniscience which I'm supposing it wouldn't since that seems like a power and we are limited to one, is that it would actually be limited by your understanding of said matter manipulation.

We still have such a fledgling understanding of the forces of the universe that time manipulation based purely on matter manipulation I don't think would be possible.

Turning something into gold would be fundamentally easier but still the excess electrons/protons/neutrons you would need to manipulate would need to come from somewhere, or be discharged somehow.

Now with any of these powers obviously the physical world would likely prevent them from existing, at least in a stable form, but as far as doing much more than just modifying mass and composition, matter manipulation seems like it would be limited.

TL;DR version:

Without Omniscience, this would be a difficult power to utilize correctly.

I most likely think the outcome would be you creating a neutron bomb out of anything you touch, or kill yourself on accident trying to put yourself in a force field because...breathing and such.

A modification to my aforementioned analysis of the matter power.

For any power i think its safe to assume that fundamental knowledge of how the power functions should not be a requirement.

However matter manipulation I suppose seems too broad or vague. I mean ultimately if you wanted to describe an op super power in just one word "omnipotence" would be the one to do it.

That would entail pretty much the ability to do everything, not much fun in describing / discussing that though now is there?

Guest Hornet117
What I want isn't technically a super power, but I think its so cool that it can be classified as such. I would like the super-brain-overcharge EFFECT brought on by the pills in "Limitless." The effect would be permanent, and minus the whole, brain overclocking and death problem. I guess to put it better, I want the ability to fully access and utilize my entire brain in the manner portrayed in that film, but not the unfortunate side-effects and circumstances. The downside to this is that, as portrayed in the movie, you have to keep moving. Always moving on to new things, new experiences, and never really relaxing to enjoy a moment. After a few years life might get a little easy, and therefore boring. This could lead to more reckless behavior to get a thrill...and as I got bored with that, even more dangerous, until inevitably, death. The key would be finding a way to balance it, and appreciate what I have while working toward improving life.

Guest RhinoTech

You are right Capt, I would have to take many physics courses to begin to understand that power. I think it might be worth it.

I also think it would be interesting to have the power to upload and download information from my head onto any device I touch. Almost a matrix-y effect sans the muscle-memory to actually do it. There's a big difference between knowing how to juggle chainsaws and actually doing it!

You are right Capt, I would have to take many physics courses to begin to understand that power. I think it might be worth it.

I also think it would be interesting to have the power to upload and download information from my head onto any device I touch. Almost a matrix-y effect sans the muscle-memory to actually do it. There's a big difference between knowing how to juggle chainsaws and actually doing it!

Have you seen Johnny Mnemonic, not exactly this power but similar concept and interesting movie.

Guest RET.TSgt.Warlord=US=
I would like to have the power to appear anywhere in the world with a blink of an eye. So that I can see the many beautiful wonders that life has to offer.

I would like to have the power to appear anywhere in the world with a blink of an eye. So that I can see the many beautiful wonders that life has to offer.

Have you seen jumper? Amazing idea with bad acting and plot holes the size of canyons, but fun to watch regardless.

Well read a synopsis, by not this power exactly, I mean very loosely associated as in, storing data in your brain. Really your paragraph just made me think of it, regardless still watch it.

For a character that has the power you described almost exactly, look up see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Box_%28comics%29

Minor character though he makes a pretty big appearance i the cable & deadpool series.

Guest RET.TSgt.Warlord=US=
Have you seen jumper? Amazing idea with bad acting and plot holes the size of canyons, but fun to watch regardless.

I have, I actually quite enjoyed the movie Sir, but probably cause who wouldn't want to jump in and out of a bank vault, lmao!

I would totally pretend to be the avatar (controlling the four elements) and entertain people (mostly myself).

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l244/Hypo3/AvatarState.jpg

Oh yea!!

Guest m5_pwr
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l244/Hypo3/AvatarState.jpg

Oh yea!!

Sweet, elemental powers....good call

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I think my superpower of choice is telekinesis.

Have you ever played the game psi-ops Recruit? If not it is by far one of the best telekinesis games ever made. Its pretty old but there is a pc version and it has aged better than expected.

Guest RhinoTech
Have you ever played the game psi-ops Recruit? If not it is by far one of the best telekinesis games ever made. Its pretty old but there is a pc version and it has aged better than expected.

I've played it. I had it console. Soundtrack was pretty good too. Thanks for reminding me pick this game back up Sir.

• 2 months later...
Guest CenturionOne

If I could have one superpower it would be the ability to make people stop talking.

**IMAGINATION TIME**

The kids are crying and your significant other is yelling at you, who do you call? The Silencer (epic hero music) with the ability to quiet the people around you for 30 minutes. Lose the noise, not your sanity!

Guest I7arKFoX

The ability to retain all memories from life to life in reincarnation....

If reincarnation does not exist... I guess I wasted my choice of super power :( ... If it does exist, I think the benefits would be awesome. First you would have to wait 1 lifetime to find out if it exists, after that lifetime, you then begin to learn things like you are going to live forever... you would eventually become quite wise and super smart at a young age. Eventually you might even learn that you have to keep this secret, otherwise you may become a scientific experiment every lifetime.

• 7 months later...
Guest RhinoTech
I would want DR. Manhattan's power

Almost Tech Sergeant, if you reference the first post it mentions restrictions on choosing multiple super powers.

If you could have any super power and be the only one in the world with one, and it could only be one (ex. Can't say "superman" because he can fly, laser eyes, invincible) what would it be? You would wake up the next day and nothing would be different except that now you have that power. Also, consider the power and it's "consequences" (ex. wish to fly, can't fly very fast without proper gear because our bodies can't handle certain speeds, also if you crash then all normal physics apply). Like I said, the only thing different in the world would be your new power.

Please include the power & a brief scenario of how'd you'd use it.

Also do not know much about Dr. Manhattan but referencing this link, it shows that the doctor has near 23 unique powers/abilities.

Guest RET.CPT.Hammerwolf53=US=

Anyone see the movie Lucy?

Yah, it was kind of average, but the superpower of being able to access 100 percent of your brain's capacity would be fascinating. Although this superpower would be unknown territory we could speculate as to what our abilities could be.

If I had just one superpower result from this, I would chose the ability to comprehend and travel to strange and new worlds. The inner/outer??? worlds of parallel universes. (Star Trek of course)

I believe that the brain is a focusing device like a radio and we are tuned to perceive one reality/frequency. What if we could tune to and perceive infinite realities at will.

Point to ponder: There is no evidence that consciousness or other than consciousness exists within the confines of the brain. Is non-local reality a reality???? According to Bell's theorem in quantum mechanics, yes!

So, I can be everywhere at once as well. Does that make me God???

Anyone see the movie Lucy?

Yah, it was kind of average, but the superpower of being able to access 100 percent of your brain's capacity would be fascinating. Although this superpower would be unknown territory we could speculate as to what our abilities could be.

SGT,

Unfortunately the whole we only use 10% of our brain is a popular mis-understanding that has been perpetuated for a long time. We in reality do use 100% of our brain though we only truly understand what ~80% really is doing, we can measure that 100% is being utilized.

That being said being able to re-map neuron channels and rewire or in essence overclock sections of our brains temporarily is a type of research that is interesting and ongoing if you want to look into it further.

I believe that the brain is a focusing device like a radio and we are tuned to perceive one reality/frequency. What if we could tune to and perceive infinite realities at will.

Though I do agree about the fundamental connection of energy int he universe I don't know that I necessarily agree with your concept of the brain as a frequency tuner, though I'll admit its an interesting one, and as plausible as many theories related to the topic at this time.

If I had just one superpower result from this, I would chose the ability to comprehend and travel to strange and new worlds. The inner/outer??? worlds of parallel universes. (Star Trek of course)

Your perception power is definitely an interesting one as it is a gamble. There is no doubt that we each to have a localized state of being as indeed we exist in a state bound by our perceptions.

Certain species such as the mantis shrimp can detect light in a way that is incomprehensible to humans so what is to say all senses don't have the ability to perceive the world in a way far beyond human understanding.

Point to ponder: There is no evidence that consciousness or other than consciousness exists within the confines of the brain. Is non-local reality a reality???? According to Bell's theorem in quantum mechanics, yes!

Ah not a fan Bohm Interpretation of Quantum mechanics?

Also just because you can perceive these realities doesn't mean you can interact with them thus significantly limiting you powers and not placing you into the "god" bracket.

Archived